300 Words Tell Mgt 3300 Troy University Managing
PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT
INTERVIEW A MANAGER PROJECT
You are to interview a manager and write a paper.
1. Identify the person, their position in the organization, how long they have been in the job, and (if applicable) your relationship to them. (Family is OK!)
2. Talk to them about their job. It is up to you to create the questions, but some suggested ones are below.
3. Write a 1,000-word paper on the interview. (most double spaced pages are about 300 words).
Papers will be in a professional, business format. I will not tell you how wide your margins should be or select your font, but make it professional.
Some Suggested Questions:
1. How long have you been a manager, and how many people have you managed?
2. How would your direct reports describe your management style?
3. How has your management style changed as you got more experience?
4. What is a common way you see people fail as managers?
5. When was the last time you had to deal with an underperforming employee, and how did you handle it?
6. How do you handle your mistakes in the workplace?
7. How would you describe the most important contributions of a manager in the workplace?
8. Could you describe one of your typical workdays?
9. What skills are required in your position on a day-to-day basis?
10. What parts of your job do you find most challenging?
11. What do find most enjoyable?
12. Are there any negatives to your job?
13. How many hours do you work in a typical week?
14. Which seasons of the year are toughest in your job?
15. How would you describe the corporate culture?
16. If you could start all over again, would you change your career path in any way? Why?
17. What educational preparation would you recommend for someone who wants to advance in this field?
18. What qualifications do you seek in a new hire?