Arizona Global Campus Writing Health Medical Que
Cultural Competence in Human Services Work
[WLO: 3] [CLOs: 1, 3, 7]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read the required chapters from the Woodside and McClam text, as well as the article The Culturally Competent Counselor: Issues Specific to Four Minority Groups. Then, use the following outline to discuss issues of cultural competence pertaining to the human services profession, being sure to use at least three resources (e.g., Week 3 readings, online credible or professional, or articles from the University of Arizona Global Campus Library) to support your thoughts:
- Understanding cultural competence. In one page,
- Identify what being a culturally competent professional means in the human services field, discussing three necessary characteristics you believe make one culturally competent.
- The role of the human services professional. In one page,
- Explain how significant “multicultural human services” is in working with diverse clients and in diverse settings.
- Explain challenges that exist in a multicultural context and resources available to support human service professionals, such as the Ethical Standards for Human Service professionals: National Organization of Human Services Adopted 2015.
- Improving your cultural competence. In one page,
- Examine two to three strategies that you would utilize (or have used) as a human services professional to increase your own cultural competence, reflecting on some of your strengths and areas to improve.
Use the Week 3 Assignment template as a guide for formatting.
The Cultural Competence in Human Services Work paper
- Must be three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the University of Arizona Global Campus Writing Center’s APA Style resource.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013.
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- Must use at least three credible sources.
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the University of Arizona Global Campus Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper guide.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the University of Arizona Global Campus Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List resource in the University of Arizona Global Campus Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading Rubricfor the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
Waypoint Assignment Submission