COVID-19 Research: Internship Project
Students are required to write a 3500 word project report to summarize the work you completed during your internship. Your report should include the following sections:
- Background work (a discussion of three relevant research papers)
Goals for Internship Project
Project goals (this should be an overall goal with 1-2 specific aims that explain that goal in more detail):
- To follow the standard operating procedures for sample handling and record keeping of patient’s Nasopharyngeal swab (NPS) samples for the testing of COVID-19.
- To identify problems that may adversely affect test performance and to take authorized corrective action by following proper quality control policies.
- To study how to handle potentially contaminated samples and learn how to use a biosafety cabinet.
Professional goals (these should be goals related to the development of the student beyond their technical capacity):
- One of the professional goals that I planned to achieve from this experience is to gain real life laboratorial skills like specimen handling and documenting.
- To build my proficient networking circle for future endeavors.
- To practice effective time management.
Career/Educational Goals (this should detail how the project will help the student in their career or educational goals):
- This project will help me to further explore concepts that I’ve learned in school more specifically concerned with epidemiology in biotech industries.
- To develop skills in data collection through database population (LIMS database) and incorporating the computer skills I gained from software and bioinformatic courses in school.
- To practice aseptic technique.
Research position – Accessioner
- Learned and followed the established standard operating procedures for sample handling and record keeping. Received and triaged patient specimens for COVID-19 testing.
- Assigned each specimen with an accession number and creating a patient chart.
- Entered patient information into the LIMS database by following HIPPA laws.
- Transported all accessioned specimens to the DNA extraction team and cell culture team, as appropriate.
- Performed accurate internal verification checks of all specimens accessioned for the day.
- Adhered to quality control policies and documented all activities.