Darkness Etc Art1A De Anza College Earthwork An
- Read the section titled “Working with Time and Place” in Chapter 11.
- Review the PowerPoint presentation for Chapter 11. Focus on slides 37-51.
- Find on the internet or in the textbook (not from Chap. 11) one earthwork or installation that you find meaningful and would like to explore further. If you chose a work that you are familiar with it’s even better.
- Attach the image/s and describe this work as if you were there yourself. Imagine yourself stepping into the space or the place of the earthwork or the installation. How do you think you would feel?
I choose installation which is the first image
- If you chose an earthwork – Is it site specific? What is it made of? How is it organized? Is it large or small? Where is it located? Is it easily accessible? Are there many other viewers there usually? In what ways you are invited to explore the place? Are you allowed to touch the work? Do you need to go up or down or is the surface flat? Are you able to explore the space freely or your movement is directed somehow? Is it ephemeral? Who created that work and for what purpose (if known)? Do you think this work can affect your feelings and mood? In what ways?
- If you chose an installation – What is it made of? How is the space organized? Is it large or small? Busy or calm? Is there music; videos; virtual reality; lights; darkness etc.? Are you invited to explore the space? Being threatened by it? etc. In what ways? Are you able to explore the space freely or your movement is directed somehow? Are you allowed to touch the work? Are you entering the space by yourself or you can be with other viewers at the same time? Is there only one entrance or more? Does the art change as you move through it or around it? Do you think this work can affect your feelings and mood? In what way? What do you think is the meaning and message of this work?