Direct Care Application Learning Activity
Purpose: The purpose of the direct care application learning activities is to provide students with a meaningful alternative for practicum experiences when warranted due to extenuating circumstances.
Format: Each direct care application would be presented via webinar (approximately 1 to 1.5 hours in length). Within the webinar, students will be provided with content as well as action steps they can take to put learning into practice. For each direct care activity, a debrief will include reflective questions answered and then submitted by the students.
Title of Webinar: Adult Hypertension & Diabetes Type II
Assigned Reading (Found in the Chamberlain Library)
Association between medication adherence and quality of life of patients with diabetes and hypertension attending primary care clinics: a cross-sectional survey
Potentially Inappropriate Prescribing in Older Adults with Hypertension or Diabetes Mellitus and Hypertension in a Primary Care Setting in Bahrain
Do State Restrictions on Advanced Practice Registered Nurses Impact Patient Outcomes for Hypertension and Diabetes Control?
Hypertension: How Low to go When Treating Older Adults
Application of Learning Activity:
Please complete University Rochester Medical Center Quiz
Center for Disease Control (CDC) Diabetes Quiz
Student Time Allocation: Approximately 6 hours each
- Webinar attendance – 1 hour
- Suggested readings – 2 hours
- Application of learning (independent field experiences) – 2 hours
- Debrief including written reflection– 1 hour
Please Answer the Following Questions:
- What is something new you learned while listening to the webinar that may change your practice as an advanced practice nurse.
- What is something new you learned when completing the learning activity that may change your practice as an advanced practice nurse.
- Reflect on how you will apply what you have learned to educating nursing students or if you are in a professional development role, nursing and hospital staff.
- How do you educate your patients when they are diagnosed with HTN and/or DM II?
Student Documentation of Learning:
- Students will enter the Direct Care Application Activities on the Practicum Log
- Students will attend or engage with all of the following:
- Assigned Reading
- Field experiences to put learning into practice
- Debrief to include written Reflection
- Student will complete the above questions on this document and upload this document along with the practicum log to get credit for the webinar.