Epidemiology in Real Time – Tuberculosis Case Study
Visit the various websites listed below to learn more about tuberculosis (TB) disease and infection, incidence rates, prevalence, surveillance and treatment. Use the following websites (or others) to view international, national, state, and county information about TB:
– Pan American Health Association
– Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
– MN Dept. of Health
– American Public Health Association
Provide the incidence of TB disease for the following questions. Include the data source and year reporting as you cite your sources. Use terms correctly as reported.
1. What world country has the highest rate?
2. Which US state has the highest rate?
3. Where does MN rank among US states?
4. What is the incidence in Minneapolis? St. Paul?
5. Are the city rates higher or lower than for the state of MN? Remember to consider the size of the populations you are comparing!
Then, after reading the following case study scenario, answer the questions about the case study.
Tuberculosis is a communicable disease of worldwide concern. Adams County generally has very low rates, but three new cases, two migrant worker family members and a motel clerk, have been documented in the western part of the county around the town of Weston. This part of the county is agricultural, but Weston is less than 1/2 mile from Interstate 44, which has a heavy commercial traffic flow. There are three inexpensive motels along the highway route, in addition to fast food and gasoline convenience stores.
You are the community health nurse who is doing the epidemiological follow-up on the three cases of TB identified in the Weston area.
6. What are some of the questions you will ask as you assess the individuals with TB disease?
7. What are you most concerned about regarding the spread or transmission of TB?