Experiences of Social Belonging among Transnational Migrants
Please compose a 4-5-page essay responding to one of the two questions below, drawing on course themes, lectures, films, and readings. Be sure to cite specific concepts, ideas, quotations, and examples in building your arguments. The best essays will reference key readings and ideas while demonstrating original thinking in answering the questions. Please upload your essay by 11:59 PM on Tuesday, December 15th. Your grade will be based on:
1. (40 points) – The extent to which the response demonstrates an understanding of key concepts and thoughtfully and thoroughly answers the questions
2. (40 points) – The depth of the analysis, including reference to specific citations and examples and attention to the connections between materials
3. (20 points) – The overall quality of the work, including evidence of effort, logic and reasoning, and conformity to the formatting guidelines
Drawing on course readings—in particular the cases of Japanese-Brazilian return migration and Muslim women in France—please compose an essay that examines
1) the conditions that can negatively impact experiences of social belonging among transnational migrants; and
2) how transnational migrants define and defend their cultural identities while living away from their homelands.
Please use 12 point, Times New Roman font, double spaced, with one-inch margins all around. Be sure to include page numbers and a title for your essay. Please cite your sources parenthetically, with page numbers noted for direct quotes—for example (Smith 2015: 22)—and include a works cited page. Following these formatting guidelines, the paper should be 4-5 pages in length, excluding the works cited page.