In the story, Guili interacts with people in a number of different social environments. In each instance, language becomes an issue. Take a moment to consider how her reliance on phrases from a phrase book affects her ability to engage with the clerk. What are the consequences to her as an individual that she is relying on those phrases to express herself? In what ways do those phrases create her identity? Then compare that to her attempt to pronounce her son’s preferred name, Ted. She is unable to pronounce the name, despite her earnest attempt to do so. What does this mean about her ability to interact with her son? What are the consequences for her inability to represent him as he chooses to be represented, despite wanting to? And in a broader sense, how is language tied to power in this story?]
- Write at least 200 words considering how language and identity connect in this story, particularly focusing on the consequences. Use at least 3 direct quotes in your answer.
- Write at least 100 words on a time when YOU were represented inaccurately by someone else or were unable to represent yourself as you would have preferred (give specific details here; vague or hypothetical answers won’t suffice). In
particular, discuss what caused the inaccuracy and what the consequences were of being inaccurately represented.
Need help with this or similar assignment?
- Tell Us Your Requirements: Please provide us with the specifics of your paper so that we may do our best to personalize it. Select the discipline, word count, format, academic level, and other details on the order form.
- Connect with the Best Writer: Consult and collaborate with an expert and complete your paper on schedule.
- Monitor the progress: Control the work process by checking the completed parts of your document right away. You can easily submit your comments by chatting with your essay writer on our website.
- Download Your Paper: Get your paper written according to your specifications. It is important to note that you only pay for an essay when you are completely satisfied with the outcome. Please provide us your feedback about our collaboration.
Eprowriters.com, and its afilliate blog Eprowriters.net, is a custom essay writing service that has been providing academic support with great success for more than five years. We are constantly updating our objectives in order to improve the quality of service we deliver and increase client satisfaction. We’ve progressed to an original concept as a result of our success.