Last updated on September 29th, 2023 at 02:48 pm
For this Argumentation Essay, consider the concepts of logos, pathos and ethos;
1. Logos—means Logic.
- Most of your essay should be dealing with logic.
- This includes the facts, statistics, and examples.
2. Pathos—means sensitivity to emotion.
- Appeals to the reader’s needs, values, and attitudes.
- Try not to overuse.
- Pathos is important when persuading, but far less important when arguing.
3. Ethos—means creditability and integrity.
- The writer uses credible sources and does not try to trick the reader.
- You want to be knowledgeable and trustworthy.
Here’s How It Works,
Recognize logical fallacies. These are false conclusions or tricks used to get readers to agree with you. You don’t want these in your paper because they are NOT logical.
See pages 267-272 in the 4th edition print version.
- Introduction—explain the controversy and provide any needed background information. This paragraph should be a minimum of nine to ten sentences.
- Body Paragraphs—3-5 paragraphs that give reasons to support your point. You should be thinking about “Ethos, Logos, and Pathos.” Do you have these appeals in the paper? Remember, you should have more “ethos and Logos” than “pathos.”
- Body Paragraph—Refutation (Acknowledge problems with the opposition’s viewpoint.)
- Conclusion– Firmly restate your opinion and the main reasons for your opinion.
- Annotated Works Cited Page (Must include all used sources, with five being the minimum.)
- Do not begin or end a paragraph with a direct quotes. Quotes must be sandwiched in what is known as the quote burger. See the following link: https://hoodseminary.libguides.com/c.php?g=375708&p=2542529
Here’s How It Works
- These suggestions come directly from your textbook. Depending on your book, page ranges vary.
- At the beginning of the paper, identify the controversy surrounding the issue and state your position in the thesis. The thesis should be the last sentence of the introduction.
- For instance, if you are arguing that Marijuana should be legalized in all states, then tell me which states have passed a law allowing the use of medical marijuana? Also, what does that mean? I should know in the introduction if those laws differ. I should know whether the Federal Government still considers marijuana to be an illegal drug (it does as of October 2015). Then you should let me (the reader) know whether any state has passed a law making all marijuana use legal (as of January 1, 2018, California allows recreational marijuana).
- Provide readers with strong support for the thesis. Use source material to find strong evidence supporting your thesis. While you will be using “pathos,” “ethos,” and “logos” in your paper, you should be relying mainly on “logos” and “ethos.” You do not have to mention these terms in the paper, but from the movie, you have seen how they help your argument.
- Seek to create goodwill. You want to avoid alienating your reader.
- Organize the supporting evidence.
- Use Rogerian strategy to acknowledge differing viewpoints (see your book for an explanation).
- Refute differing viewpoints.
- Concede if the opposing viewpoint has a good point that you can’t argue.
Logos, Pathos, and Ethos
Need help with this or similar assignment?
- Tell Us Your Requirements: Please provide us with the specifics of your paper so that we may do our best to personalize it. Select the discipline, word count, format, academic level, and other details on the order form.
- Connect with the Best Writer: Consult and collaborate with an expert and complete your paper on schedule.
- Monitor the progress: Control the work process by checking the completed parts of your document right away. You can easily submit your comments by chatting with your essay writer on our website.
- Download Your Paper: Get your paper written according to your specifications. It is important to note that you only pay for an essay when you are completely satisfied with the outcome. Please provide us your feedback about our collaboration.
Eprowriters.com, and its afilliate blog Eprowriters.net, is a custom essay writing service that has been providing academic support with great success for more than five years. We are constantly updating our objectives in order to improve the quality of service we deliver and increase client satisfaction. We’ve progressed to an original concept as a result of our success.