Martin Luther King Jr Engl 120 Cuyumaca College I
Your essay should be 800 to 1000 words in length and follow this format:
- Introduction: Introduce your change maker, his/her cause, their attributes, your cause, and your thesis. In your thesis, state how you will plan to become an Agent of Change for your given topic.
- Sample Thesis: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s life embodied determination and strength as he tirelessly fought for African Americans’ Civil Rights. He argued that education should result not only in knowledge gained but also character developed, and given the current educational disparities in our school system, I plan to be an agent of change for students who live in less funded areas. I will use my education and voice to bring awareness to this issue in my home, work place, and community through social media and informal discussions.
- Body paragraph 1: Introduce your change maker. Explain his/her characteristics that make him/her a strong Agent of Change.
- Sample TS for thesis above: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s life embodied determination and strength as he tirelessly fought for African Americans’ Civil Rights.
- Body paragraph 2: Explain his/her (and in theory your) cause in detail. Explain with how this cause made progress because of his/her attributes.
- Sample TS for thesis above: Dr. King’s determination mobilized the Civil Rights Movement and ignited change and forced outsiders to see the issues facing African Americans at the time.
- Body paragraph 3: Detail the attributes necessary for being a change maker. Explain how you plan to embody those attributes for the cause.
- Sample TS for thesis above: With determination and honesty, I plan to be an agent of change for students who live in less funded areas. I will use my voice in social media and casual conversation to bring awareness to this issue to those around me.
- Conclusion: End with a declaration of how you will be an Agent of Change in your home, community, work place, and/or community.
- Sample concluding statement for thesis above: As a social change agent, I plan to bring awareness to the issue of disparities in education. I can do this by voicing my opinion and sharing my expertise on this issue with others in my home, work place, and community through social media and informal discussions. Like Dr. King, I can use my voice and determination to bring about change and expect more from those around me.