Oral Health Impacts
The concepts of epidemiology provide the framework for the study of infectious and chronic health issues/diseases, which provides a rich source of data for the analysis of trends in disease and health. This assignment will offer the opportunity to explore the population health effects associated with Oral Health. You will identify populations at risk for Oral Health, for instance those with co-morbidities or the frail living at home, and design a population focused educational intervention for your target population. In addition, you will look at what outcomes will be addressed to determine if your interventions are effective. This paper should integrate Healthy People 2020 and CDC information into your paper.
1. Research Topic: Oral Health
o This assignment will offer the opportunity to explore the population health effects associated with oral health. You will identify how oral health effects various populations (you may choose a group, such as school-aged children or the menopausal woman) and address the impact of poor oral (outcome identification). Additionally you will use the identified outcomes to craft primary, secondary and tertiary objectives for primary care.
2. Identify your target population (for instance, age or other demographic, aggregate population); this must be in your city or state.
3. Discuss population-based health education interventions for your target population that is aimed at reducing morbidity and mortality for the problem. Be sure to review the research literature and Healthy People 2020 for interventions.
4. Identify how and what data for interventions is being tracked.
5. In a four (4) page paper, address the following. Refer to rubric for expanded details related to grading expectations.
o Identify the problem in the introduction section.
o Provide an overview of the problem in your state/national.
o Review of descriptive epidemiological and demographic data on mortality/morbidity and risk.
o Healthy People 2020: Present the goal, overview and objectives of Healthy People 2020 for the paper topic.
o Population level prevention and health promotion review. Describe population and/or primary health care focused interventions. Use of scholarly literature and HP2020 is required. There should be direct correlation to evidence for all strategies.
Best Practices in Preparing the Project
1. Review directions and rubric through carefully.
2. Follow submission requirements.
3. Make sure all elements on the grading rubric are included. Organize the paper using the rubric sections and appropriate headings to match the sections.
4. Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal, scientific writing.
5. Title page, running head, body of paper, and reference page must follow APA guidelines as found in the current edition of the manual. This includes the use of headings for each section of the paper except for the introduction where no heading is used.
6. Ideas and information that come from scholarly literature must be cited and referenced correctly.