Ways Emerging Adulthood Varies Harold Washington
Name of the book:
Human Development: A Cultural Approach (3rd ed.) Jeffery
Jensen Arnett & Lene Arnett Jensen.
Respond to fifteen of the following learning objectives. You should have a total of fifteen responses for this homework assignment.
- Name the four revolutions that contributed to the rise of emerging adulthood in the developed world.
- Identify the five developmental features distinctive to emerging adulthood and discuss if emerging adulthood is likely to remain as a developmental stage.
- Describe some of the ways emerging adulthood varies among cultures, with specific reference to European and Asian countries.
- Discuss how emerging adulthood is a period of peak physical functioning and why many emerging adults are not necessarily at their best physically.
- Summarize college students’ sleep patterns and explain why these sleep patterns may persist.
- What are the main elements of sleep hygiene and what strategies can people use to improve their sleep hygiene.
- Explain why young drivers have the highest rates of crashes, and name the most effective approach to reducing those rates.
- Explain why rates of substance use peak in the early 20s and then decline.
- Define resilience and discuss how resilience can be fostered in people.
- Explain why emerging adulthood may be a critical period for resilience.
- Compare and contrast the tertiary education systems and college experiences in developed countries.
- Name the various long-term benefits of tertiary education and discuss the major changes to access and cost of tertiary education in America.
- Describe the transition from school to full-time work, and explain why unemployment rates among emerging adults are higher than for older adults.
- Describe the course of self-esteem from adolescence through emerging adulthood and explain the reasons for this pattern.
- Describe how cultural and ethnic identity can impact development during emerging adulthood.
- Describe how gender identity can impact development during emerging adulthood.
- Summarize the changes in American gender beliefs in recent decades and include findings from research on gender stereotypes among college students.
- Summarize the religious beliefs and practices of American emerging adults noting demographic differences.
- Contrast the religious beliefs and practices of young Americans and young Europeans.
- Explain why emerging adults have often been at the forefront of political movements, and contrast this with their involvement in conventional politics.
- Describe patterns of home-leaving in the United States and Europe and how this transition influences relations with parents.
- Discuss why there may be differences between groups in closeness to parents during emerging adulthood.
- Describe the role of intimacy in emerging adults’ friendships and the most common activities of emerging adult friends.
- Explain how romantic relationships can impact other relationships during emerging adulthood.
- Discuss the development of sexually intimate relationships during emerging adulthood.
- Explain how emerging adults use social media and texting to maintain social contacts.