Last updated on October 8th, 2023 at 06:06 am
You are a newly hired police officer, and you have just been released from your department’s field training program, which means you are riding solo in your own patrol car. Under the terms of your probationary employment, you may be terminated for any reason until after you have been employed for 1 year. After 1 year, your employment becomes protected by civil service.
While you are on routine patrol, you notice that some of your colleagues are regularly conducting pretextual traffic stops on minority drivers to search for illegal drugs. After the officer’s conduct pretextual traffic stops, they will search the minority drivers and their cars—frequently without consent—or the officers will use implied consent to search (based on fear). By doing this, the officers are frequently successful in finding illegal drugs, which are then used to arrest the drivers. This search methodology appears to be systemic in the department. Discuss the following regarding this scenario:
- What are the Fourth Amendment protections for drivers and their vehicles during traffic stops?
- Explain the difference between racial profiling (illegal) and criminal profiling (legal).
- Define what pretextual traffic stops are. What is the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling on pretextual stops?
- What is the difference between reasonable suspicion and probable cause?
- Can someone be detained based on reasonable suspicion? If so, for how long?
- Can someone be arrested based on reasonable suspicion? What is the plain feel doctrine?
- Describe under what conditions an officer may search a vehicle, specifically when the owner declines authorization for an officer to search it.
- As a probationary police officer who can be legally terminated without cause during your first year of employment, how would you handle this kind of a situation, if you discovered it to be systemically happening?
Need help with this You are a newly hired police officer or similar assignment?
- Tell Us Your Requirements: Please provide us with the specifics of your paper so that we may do our best to personalize it. Select the discipline, word count, format, academic level, and other details on the order form.
- Connect with the Best Writer: Consult and collaborate with an expert and complete your paper on schedule.
- Monitor the progress: Control the work process by checking the completed parts of your document right away. You can easily submit your comments by chatting with your essay writer on our website.
- Download Your Paper: Get your paper written according to your specifications. It is important to note that you only pay for an essay when you are completely satisfied with the outcome. Please provide us your feedback about our collaboration.
Eprowriters.com, and its afilliate blog Eprowriters.net, is a custom essay writing service that has been providing academic support with great success for more than five years. We are constantly updating our objectives in order to improve the quality of service we deliver and increase client satisfaction. We’ve progressed to an original concept as a result of our success.