Assessment 3: Group Oral presentation and Individual Written Essay
There are two parts to this assessment.
Part 3A: Group Oral presentation (Due Date: Delivered in Weeks 8-11)
• Students will be required to form groups of 3-4 members and prepare a group oral presentation on an allocated topic from the weekly content
• PowerPoint presentation with appropriate visual resources
• Presentation timeframe: 15-20 minutes
• Correct in-text citation and references using APA 7 format
To help with planning your group presentation – answer the following questions:
• What are we going to present?
• What will the overall structure look like?
• How are we going to divide up the presentation?
• Who is going to present what?
• What audio-visual aids or handouts will we need?
• How will we introduce the presentation, link the parts together and conclude?
• How are we going to keep the audience interested, active and involved?
Adapted from G. Gibbs (1994), Learning in Teams: A Student Manual, Oxford, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford Centre for Staff, p.49.
Although this is a group presentation, students will be assessed on their individual capacities to work effectively in a group setting according to the nature of the group task in each unit.
PART 3B: Individual Written Essay (Due Date: Week 9)
Word Count: 1000-1200 words
Students are required to write an essay discussing:
▪ Their allocated topic from their oral presentation
▪ Include a written reflection on their group’s processes and how individual tasks were managed, including their overall experience in preparing for their group presentation and their individual contribution. This portion of the essay should comprise one paragraph.
Your written essay should be an individual essay as it reflects your personal experience of working as a group in Part 3A of this assessment. While it may include information gathered by other students, it should be written entirely by you.
You should be guided by the lectures and prescribed unit readings. However, it is expected that you will conduct your own research to support your assertions and conclusions. It is expected that you will use the PACFA or ACA Code of ethics to inform your final decisions. Careful consideration of relevant legislation should also be included. Your assessment should include at least 4 (scholarly) journal articles read, in addition to any textbook references. The format of your essay will be discussed in greater detail during tutorials. Use APA 7 referencing.
Do NOT utilise sources such as www.tutor2u.com and other such web materials as these in no way constitute academic references for the purpose of your assignments. If you rely on such sources for theoretical support you will be deemed NOT to have met the requirements of the assessment.