Social and Political Economy
- According to Locke, how do we come to own/create private property?
- What is one reason Nozick gives as a problem for Locke’s account of the initial acquisition of property.
- Explain why Henry George thinks you can own a pencil, but you cannot own land.
- Explain the tragedy of the commons.
- Explain Schmidtz’s argument for why he thinks the Lockean Proviso requires the creation of property in order to satisfy Locke’s requirement that enough and as good of land be left for others.
- Explain how Rawls generates and justifies the two principles of justice.
- Explain the two principles of justice that Rawls thinks people will select in the original position.
- Explain Nozick’s argument for why liberty upsets patterns. If Nozick is correct, is it possible to satisfy the difference principle? (Note this is the only question that relies on information covered this week. The remaining material will be on the next quiz.)